01

The World-Famous (to some people) online-novels of Lark and Musings, for you to sit back and enjoy in the quietness of your own home. Warning, all novels may contain traces of nuts, and insanity in large doses. (Reading hint: For more enjoyment and less wanting-to-die-from-how-stupid-it-all-is, L&M Blognovels are suggested read in smaller doses, rather than in one sitting).

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Captain Cuddles the Cat's Corpse's Chewy Chocolatey Centre

Luckily, I only needed one of those two items.
Throwing the useless sponge aside (because what use is a dried sponge anyway? You can't mop up a spill with something so brittle, and even wet sponges only stay useful if you keep them in water. I made a note to myself about creating some sort of 'Restores the Dried Sponge to Usefulness' potion at some point in the future) I picked up the cat corpse, and inspected it intently.
Just as I had hoped, the cat was definitely dead, and was just beginning to putrify. Perfect for what I had in mind.
(I also made a mental note to develop a 'Removes the smell of putrid cat' potion)
Instructing Bernard to wait where he was (using small words and obvious hand gestures to made sure he understood) I ran a short distance away from the road, and began swinging the cat corpse over my head, ignoring the shower of maggots that began raining down on me like rice at a very disturbing wedding.
As everyone who's anyone in the wizard world knows, the smell of a putrid cat being swung over your head near a road on which a tired donkey and a broken down cart were patiently waiting was irresistible to any goblin (be it hobgoblin, regular goblin, or the generally obese gobblin' goblin) who may be nearby. Sure enough, within moments, a green nose poked curiously out from behind a nearby boulder and sniffed the air, followed by cautious goblin eyes, a goblin face, and (thankfully) the rest of a goblin.
The small lopsided creature waddled over to me on its stumpy goblegs, sniffed loudly, wiped its long green clawed hand across its nose, and then held the hand out towards me expectantly.
I felt a strange mixture of thankfulness and queasiness that the green of the goblin's skin meant that I didn't have to see whether the nose wipe had coated the goblin's hand in more than the usual amount of mucus, and politely placed the dead cat into the creature's talons.
The goblin looked at me cautiously, then at the cat, and brought the ex-feline back towards itself.
It hesitated just a moment, and then took a large bite of the cat, chewing loudly and with a disturbingly open mouth.
But, obviously the cat was a good vintage, because the goblin allowed a half-smile to cross its face (even its smile was lopsided), nodded in approval, and asked me "So what's the deal?"
"The bus" I replied, trying to observe proper goblin protocol (which was to use sentences of no more than two words in reply to any given question, and never speak a question of more than five words, or less than four. Also, it involved picking the nose of anyone who had saved your life and spitting in the ears of anyone who forgot to fold the laundry, but I was hopeful I could avoid those aspects).
"You want some new wheels?"
"I do."
"You'll wait here for me?"
"Sure will."
The goblin took another cat nip, and nodded once more. Then it turned and walked behind the boulder from whence it had emerged.
Ten minutes later it re-emerged, carrying two wheels that looked like they had been stolen from a tractor, and one that seemed to be constructed from plastercine. It wandered over to where Bernard was still patiently waiting, and within another ten minutes had completely repaired the cart (goblins are incredible craftsmen).
"There you go, as good as new, hope your journey goes well" the goblin said, using the formal three word, four word, five word statement that meant it was proud of the work it had done, or possibly that the cat was giving it gas.
"Thanks so much," I replied in form, "That looks so good, you've really saved my life."
"Saved your life did I?" the goblin smirked.
And it raised its nose towards me in anticipation.

Previous Potion *** Next Potion

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home